2/11/2011

Sign speaks

At my parents place, the living space is split in two tiers with kutti "r"s room on the first level. I was busy with kutti "r" giving him a sponge bath at the lower level. Only when I was wiping him dry, I realized that I missed the baby lotion. With kutti "r" in my lap, I called out for Muthu akka... (Muthu our maid-servant - I hate to call her that because she is almost like family now). I asked her to bring me the baby lotion from kutti "r"s room.

Little did I realise that she doesn't read English until she handed me the baby lotion. Infact, there were a couple of others on the table. But my dear Muthu akka had got the one that I had in my mind to my utter surprise and proudly said that she identified it because the bottle had a baby icon! 

WOW! If I had told my mom to get it, she would have definitely got me the J&J one, (not because she reads English...it has always been the baby brand). That's when I realised the power of signs! 
Sign language is one of the oldest forms of communication. Pictorial representation and hand signs have come a long way today. Thanks to signs, it saved me the trouble of giving an elaborate explanation to Muthu akka!

1 comment:

  1. On the topic of signs - there is something called baby signing coz babies can understand and start signing much earlier than speaking. I have seen some 1 yr olds sign everything but I never attempted it with kuttyma

    ReplyDelete