2/24/2011

Naalaayira Dhivyaprabhandham - ambrosia!

My MIL and me were giving kutti "r" a bath and thats when my MIL said, there's a song for Lord Krishna inviting him for a bath...A week has passed after this conversation and we forgot to look for the song.
My MIL's MIL a fervent Vaishnavite has a whole collection of religious books and I have never tried to reach for a single one in these 2 years. Recently, I cleared her bookshelf, literally dumping her books in a bag asking my MIL to give it to her....so that she could keep those really old books elsewhere....
Her friend dropped last evening suggesting a few thaalatu paadalgal from Naalayira Dhivyaprabhandham. When I asked my MIL if we have that book, she said its among those books you cleared this morning. WOW! I had taken those BOOKS for GRANTED....Little did I realise the importance of those books...
When we browsed through a really really old book, my eyes beamed with joy to find the hymn we were looking for....

I have just started reading பெரியாழ்வார் திருமொழி  (Periyaazhwar's Thirumozhi)- the hymn "aravanaiyaai" where Yeshoda lovingly calls Krishna to nurse...only a person who has experienced the joy of feeding can compose such verses....
the verses are like ambrosia, intoxicating a person who loves reading Thamizh...Oh what love these Aalwars had for Lord Krishna....the joy they found in writing these hymns can only be felt as we read through the verses line after line, word by word!!!
The book dates 5th - 8th century AD with its modern form compiled by Nathamuni in the 10th century...

Why didnt I look into my dad's bookshelf which has atleast a hundred books, all in my very own mother tongue ?

Why was I always looking for English titles to read when I wanted to make my literary dreams come true?


2 comments:

  1. You go girl! Atleast you read it in Tamizh - I would have given it to someone and asked them to read it to me. I hope someday I can gather up the courage to read in Tamizh

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Good luck Vini...you wont regret reading atleast these verses...

    ReplyDelete