2/17/2011

Rhyme time - Tulika Blogathon - a delayed entry!

With a 3 month old at home, and with lots of people around there is never scarcity for funny rhymes and verses...Mil, granny, cosisters, nephews and nieces are constantly finding ways to talk to him and keep him engaged. As they play with kutti "r", little verses and rhymes spill out. After reading a post on Tulika's blog I couldnt prevent myself from collecting all those little verses.
To some, the words have defined meanings are, for many neither my mil nor her mom know what they mean. If any reader out there is able to decipher the meaning, please...

My mil claps her hand in rhythm as she sings the below one to kutti "r"....
The translation is crude....When my mil shared it with me word by word (I dont speak Telugu) she said nobody has looked into the meaning...it's always about the way they rhyme!

Thattandama thattanda (Pat dear, Pat)
Apachilu* Thattanda (Pat a flat bread)
Andhiriku petanda (Keep it for everyone)
Adhigodmena apachi (On a high wall is the vada)
Andhethiko boochakka (Reach high for it little dog)
Boochakka chellulu nenu (Little dog's sister is me)
Gudamanthralu nuvvu (
Thattandama thattanda (Pat dear, pat)

*Just like we say pappu mammu for dhal rice, apachilu is the word in baby language that refers to vada or bholi
The rhyme reminded me of the nursery rhyme "pat a cake pat a cake baker's man"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another one, especially when kutti "r" makes all the cute sounds hinting us to lift him!

Jo jo paapa (jo - jo - is just a rhyming sound use here)...(jo, jo baby)
Jonnakutti paapa (little corn baby)
Edaodhu paapa (don't you cry baby)
Ethikinenu paapa (I will lift you baby)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's another - My mil said, the rhyme below is as said by a little girl...again there is no correlation between the sentences...

Chandamamaku seerakatti (Let's dress up the moon with a saree)
Sanigaborugulu odila esi (Place chick peas and puffed rice on my lap)
Amma, nenu, chinna bida (Mom, me and little kid)
Alundu osthe ampodhu (Dont send me away when the Groom comes)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I was around 6 years of age, I remember playing this game with my cousins. All of us sit in a circle, we choose a runner who runs around us holding a handkerchief. The runner drops the handkerchief behind anyone he/she likes and joins the circle. It takes a while before the person finds out who the next runner will be. Sometimes, if the circle is too big, the new runner will catch the runner before he/she sits down in the circle. The game repeats until everyone gets a chance to be the runner.
The following rhyme is said when the runner runs around....

kulai kulaiya mundhirika (bunches and bunches of cashewfruit)
neraiya neraiya suthi vaa (go around many times)
kollaiadichavan engirukaan (where is the one who looted)
kootathile paar kandupidi (look into the crowd and find him)
Again, the translation is crude...When I was looking for the exact tamil verse on the web, I came across a weblink which had many such rhymes....Linking it below
குலை குலையாய் முந்திரிக்காய்
நரியே நரியே சுத்தி வா
கொள்ளையடிச்சவன் எங்கிருக்கான்?
கூட்டத்திலே பார் கண்டுபிடி


No comments:

Post a Comment