2/11/2011

Grandma dearest vs diapers

She was against the concept of making kutti r wearing disposable diapers. It wasn't that kutti r was in diapers 24/7...It was mostly saved for the night time/ nap time/ play time on his rocker/play gym...
And according to her that was almost throughout the day! 
She used to crib that she doesn't have enough soiled cloth nappies to wash. She would never let any maid get close to kutti r's clothes. She hand washed them every single day, dried them in the sun and carefully folded them and made sure they were safely stored for the next use. (She is 80 plus with dislocated shoulders suffers from knee pain almost every day).

Today, as I handwashed kutti r's soiled cloth nappies, I fondly remembered the love and care that went into the process. The attention to detail - yes! you could never spot any stains "thedinaalum kidaikaadhu" and all the hours and patience that went into this activity. Many of us dont appreciate any work until we do it all by ourselves...Dont we???

And like she wanted, from the day I reached  my inlaws place, to my surprise - I am not using disposable diapers on kutti r even during the day time...
What brought the change in me?
Is it because kutti r has started to pee and poop a little less than before?
Is it because I didn't want to trouble her age while I was at my parents place with all the soiled clothes? (she never let me lift a finger while I was with her for any task big or small)
Is it her voice thats constantly ringing in my head?
Is it because I know deep within me that all she said was for my own good?

No comments:

Post a Comment